Transpose of 1 element array in COM object crashes python

Sue Giller sag at hydrosphere.com
Wed Dec 19 11:44:06 EST 2001

I am getting a COM error when I try to transpose a 1 element array
from within a COM object.  The array is created by subclassing
UserArray.  After the error, the application crashes and causes
PythonWin to die.

My questions are:  why can't I get the transpose to work in a COM
situation, even tho it will work from the interactive window, and, even
if I cant' do this, why would the exception cause everything to die?

I know that transposing a 1 element array is silly, but in the code I
could be transposing an array of any size, it just happens to be 1
element in this case.  It all works fine for arrays of > 1 element.
While I could special case for a 1 element case, I would expect
things to work for this, and am wondering if there are other caveats
out there to worry about.

The data in the array just before the transpose is:

year: value: 1791045.0	shape:  (1,)

The code is:
    try:
       data = Numeric.transpose(year)
    except:
        raise
	  #data = [0]		I had been setting it to this, but things
crashed with no information, so I put in the raise to figure out what's
going on

The error raised is:

com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, 'Python COM
Server Internal Error', 'Unexpected Python Error:
exceptions.ValueError: invalid axis for this array', None, 0, -
2147467259), None)

After this, everything dies.

I'm using Python '2.1.1 (#20, Jul 20 2001, 01:19:29) [MSC 32 bit
(Intel)]',
Numeric 20.2.0