Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Resty Cena rcena at epcor.ca
Sat Dec 29 09:21:51 EST 2001

"Kevin Altis" <altis at semi-retired.com> wrote in message news:<DOeX7.2433$ju5.582404 at news.uswest.net>...
> I couldn't agree more. Thus you won't be surprised that in many ways that is
> the sweet spot that PythonCard is aiming at. You'll need wxPython 2.3.2 or
> higher and Python 2.x to give it a try, but you can at least look at screen
> shots if nothing else.
>
> http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/
>
> We are moving towards a component model, which will give you many of the
> capabilities you are familiar with from using COM. There is a layout editor
> (the resourceEditor sample) and automatic event binding and event handlers
> that should look a lot like what you have used with VB. You can already
> build standalone Windows executables using py2exe.

Yes, I've been following the progress of PythonCard (and Boa
Constructor) very intently (I did some educational stuff in HyperCard
a long time ago). I must congratulate you and the team for the
tremendous progress made in such a short time.

Tim Churches made this list in another posting. I'd put (a), (b), and
(e) as my top priority.

The main things which PythonCard needs are:

a) A drag-and-drop form editor (I believe this is being worked on)
b) Automated bindings of data-aware controls to underlying databases.
c) A drag-and-drop SQL query editor.
d) A banded report writer like Access or Crystal reports.
e) A really easy installation routine which handles the database
installation/adminstration as well.
f) Excellent documentation.

Best wishes,
rmc