two questions - sockets / c functions

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Dec 11 03:10:30 EST 2001

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:47:47PM +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:
> > The only thing Oleg forgot to tell you was that sockets don't work on
> > Windows
>
>    Sockets don't work on Windows? It is nice to hear, but I do not beleive
> it! What do you mean?!
>
> Oleg.
> --
>      Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru
>            Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.

-----------
God I was tired last night.  Why can I write code for 19 hours a day
all weekend, and, poof no problem, while one 3 hour meeting with
lawyers and accountants turns my brain into glue?  I must thank
Jacob Hallén, the founder of the company who usually handles this sort of
junk more.  No wonder he is bitching about not getting to write enough
code.  And he is the author of the recipe I am promoting ....
-----
Ok, as the effbot would write: reset my brain.

Here is what I should have began saying.

In Tk version 8.0, support for Win32 was suddenly withdrawn for
createfilehandler.  so you can't use
self.socket = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
self.socket.bind('', wherever)

At this point my brain is supposed to issue an interrupt and say
'look, idiot, did he say anything about Tkinter' and I am supposed
to thank my brain for fulfilling one of its useful functions and
keeping me from making an ass of myself in public.  This is the
part that didn't happen.

Instead I get to thank Oleg Broytmann for keeping the damage I
did with my stupidity small.  And being so polite about it, too.

Apologies everybody!  Thank you Oleg.

Laura <blushing> <this is what I deserve for yapping at all when the
                  anygui release has slipped and Magnus Lie Hetland,
                  BDFAW wants us all to fix bugs>