zope: compilation problem, can't make ISO_8859_1_Splitter

Warren Postma warren-postma at NOSPAM.rogers.com
Wed Dec 12 16:52:13 EST 2001

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post.

I am trying to get Zope 2.4.1 to compile on OpenBSD 2.8.  I have
searched Google and found that people do in fact have Zope up
and running on OpenBSD.  First off, compiling and installing
Python 2.1.1 went off without a hitch, indicating to me a reasonable
nice make/autoconf type environment, which seems to be what
is required for building Python extensions.

I ran "python wo_pcgi.py", and it got a fair ways into the building process,
and then died inside of a Makefile, with the following being the most
interesting error output:

/usr/local/lib/python2.1/config/makesetup  -m Makefile.pre -c
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/config/config.c.in Setup -n
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/config/Setup.config
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/config/Setup.local
  /usr/local/lib/python2.1/config/Setup
make
make: don't know how to make ././src/ISO_8859_1_Splitter.c. Stop

Now, there's a folder called  ISO_8859_1_Splitter but there's no C file.

The path of that folder it seems to want to think of as a C file is
~postma/Zope-2.4.1-src/lib/python/Products/PluginIndexes/TextIndex/Splitter/
ISO_8859_1_Splitter

In case it was wo_pcgi.py that exhibits this problem, I also
ran "python w_pcgi.py", which failed in the same way.

Is this a case of me needing to Read a Million Pages of Documentation On How
To Compile Zope, that I haven't read yet?

Is there something I need to change in the configuration of Zope, or in
Python,
in order to get it to build on this platform?

Can anyone who has done this on OpenBSD email me and tell me of any funny
steps or configuration choices you made.

Warren