Suffering For Your Art

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 11:37:34 EST 2001

<mkx at excite.com> wrote in message
news:a8bd9tkvianmkqtg5c3qg33i8igq47n6kj at 4ax.com...
    [snip]
> >IMHO I think Python is a marvellously eloquant and beautiful
> >language because it does not get in the road of programming. It pisses me
> >off if I have to consult a tome of a help file/manual to find some
obscure
> >reference to do something that should have been quite simple ...
>
> Other environments allow the true computer geeks to flex their brain
> muscles, in an attempt to impress the intellectually-poor masses.

So does Python (I'm guilty of my share of "clever" solutions posted
to this group), but in Python's case it's clearer that "being clever" is
a temptation to be *wisely resisted* -- that "the simplest thing that
can possibly work" is the RIGHT way to go (and I try to recall to
point this out just about every time I come up with "cleverness"
that would likely be a very bad idea to use in production code...:-).

Alex