segfault. which module to blame? (entire traceback)

Dan Parisien dan at eevolved.com
Fri Feb 16 12:21:30 EST 2001

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> Are there any C extensions being used with this process?  My first
> guess would be bad reference counting in a third-party extension.
> Just in case that guess is wrong, what are you pickling?
>
> Jeremy

Unfortunately everything I use came with BeOpen Python 2.0.1's rpm on
python.org.

I write normal python dictionaries and strings to a shelve db. I also use
locks (threading.Lock) to implement row-level locking in shelve. I've had
segfaults before while coding normal python scripts. I think it was the
dictionaries because that's pretty much all I used. Could it be bad
reference counting in those? I would have to read the code, but could there
be a problem if two keys hashed to the same value in the dictionary and
that one is deleted before the other or something similar?

thanks Jeremy,
Dan