1st install on Linux (RH 7.0) I hit a snaggg !!!

Chris Nelson fimafeng at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 23:21:42 EST 2001

bowman wrote:

> Chris Nelson <fimafeng at yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> news:3A93280C.2080802 at yahoo.com...
>

>> "Tkinter-2.0-8.0-3 requires libtcl8.0.so"
>
>> "Tkinter-2.0-8.0-3 requires libtk8.0.so"
>
>> I show the following RPMs as beeing installed...
>
>> tcl 8.3.1-46
>
>> tcl 8.2.0-46
>
>> tk  8.3.1-46
>

> welcome to rpm hell. tcl8.0 is not tcl8.3. unless you have some
>
> dependencies, you might remove the 8.3 rpms and install 8.0. I don't know if
>
> the problems were resolved, but there were some issues with 8.3 that caused
>
> people building packages that required tcl/tk to revert back to 8.0. rpm's
>
> are fine things, but they imply your machine has all the bits and pieces
>
> that the build machine had, which is not always the case.

I removed the 8.3 libraries (even though it said there were
dependencies..installed the 8.0.5 series of tcl and tk....and TKinter
installed all right. I was goint to then upgrade the 8.0's back to 8.3
but I got the warning about those libraries mentioned above so I decided
to wait.

BTW.. How do I start the IDLE in Linux???

Thanks,
Chris