[Python-Dev] RE: Update to PEP 232

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 04:02:51 EST 2001

Guido responded to my points thus:
> > 1. Clarify the final statement - I seem to have the
> > impression (sorry, can't find a message to back it up)
> > that either the BDFL or Tim Peters is very against
> > anything other than the "simple" #f.a = 1# sort of
> > thing - unless I'm mischannelling (?) again.
>
> Agreed.

That's a relief - I obviously had "heard" right!

> > 2. Reference the thread/idea a little while back that ended
> > with #def > f(a,b) having (publish=1)# ...
>
> Sure, reference it.  It will never be added while I'm in charge
> though.

Well, I'd kind of assumed that, given my "memory" of the first point.
But of the schemes that won't be adopted, that's the one *I* preferred.

(my own sense of "locality" means that I would prefer to be placing
function attributes near the declaration of the function, especially
given my penchant for long docstrings which move the end of the function
off-screen. But then I haven't *used* them yet, and I assume this sort
of point has been taken into account. And anyway I definitely prefer
your sense of language design to mine).

Keep on trying not to get run over by buses, and thanks again for the
neat language,

Tibs

"Bounce with the bunny. Strut with the duck.
 Spin with the chickens now - CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK!"
BARNYARD DANCE! by Sandra Boynton