Hiding widgets it Tkinter and shrinking the frame/window?

Russell E. Owen owen at astrono.junkwashington.emu
Mon Feb 26 15:53:15 EST 2001

I am trying to generate a window with basic options always showing and
additional panels that are hidden or displayed if needed. I can easily
show/hide widgets, but the window does not shrink after a widget is
hidden. Is there some basic trick to this?

(Also, is there some simple way to get the TopLevel object from a
widget, perhaps one that is buried many levels deep in enclosing frames
and etc.? I think I may have to make window manager calls, and I don't
want to pass the TopLevel widget around if I don't have to.)

-- Russell