IDLE & Gadfly frustration

gbell at uclink.berkeley.edu gbell at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 1 03:07:50 EST 2001

Two newbie questions:

1) I'm trying to write a script which creates, then makes use of, a
Gadfly database to be stored in my Python20 directory.  When I run the
script from the (MS-DOS) command line, all is well. When I run the
script using IDLE, the Gadfly data files are created in my TOOLS/IDLE
directory.  IDLE seems to have its own ideas about my preferred default
directory. Is there any way to change this?

2) A related frustration:  could someone tell me the proper syntax for
specifying directory paths in Python (or perhaps I'm asking for the
proper Gadfly syntax)?  The Gadfly documentation says:
  connection.startup("mydatabase", "mydirectory")
So far, I've only had luck setting the second variable to "" (perhaps
because of the problem mentioned in #1).  Should "mydirectory" begin
with c:?  Use double backward slashes?  forward slashes?

Many, many thanks.

Gregory Bell
gbell at uclink.berkeley.edu

Sent via Deja.com