New to OO concepts - re-usability

Chris Tavares ctavares at develop.com
Wed Feb 21 01:30:58 EST 2001

"Thomas Gagne" <tgagne at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:3A933830.7F98D118 at ix.netcom.com...
[... snip ...]

> Long-time Smalltalkers, and apparently Python programmers, may have
already had
> this drilled into their heads.  I don't remember reading anything about
> designing software to work well within the idiom of any language in any of
the
> books I've read.  Maybe others have?

Actually, this is in many ways the whole idea behind the STL in C++. Write
code to common idioms and then you can easily reuse different pieces
together.

While the world is totally different (static vs. dynamic typing), the
concepts are in many ways the same. Studying the ideas behind the STL are
well worth doing for everyone I would think.

-Chris