Using win32Com with Internet Explorer

Toby Dickenson mbel44 at dial.pipex.net
Wed Feb 21 08:09:43 EST 2001

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

>Toby Dickenson wrote:
>> For many cases the IE-based code is better. For example, it uses IE's
>> proxy configuration
>
>so does Python

Yes, it does make a good effort (thanks Mark!)

However, many proxy configurations are implemented using a javascript
function that computes the proxy configuration.

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:25:39 GMT, David Fuess <fuess at att.net> wrote:

>I use the same code on Windows,  UNIX, and Macintosh systems. Neither
>UNIX nor the Mac have IE, yet all were capable of retrieving and
>decoding web pages with no changes in the code.

Im pretty sure it wont work on my current machine, without manual
proxy configuration.

>If you write in COM
>you are restricted to Windows platforms only.

Yes, it depends on your requirements. I didnt intent to suggest that
IE/COM is always superior to httplib.

My current http client project uses COM/IE if it can, but falls back
to httplib. Both modes of operation have been necessary at some time.