[Distutils] Re: CPAN functionality for python

Rene Liebscher R.Liebscher at gmx.de
Tue Feb 27 04:02:46 EST 2001

I don't know if I missed something, but if you want for
all users install a package in their native format, why not so:

1. - download the binary in a format which can be unpacked
     by python/distutils on every system where this binary works
     (Linux -> tar.gz?)
   - download some meta data

2. extract the binaries in a directory

3. feed the meta data and the directory in distutils
   bdist_{rpm|debian|...) and create a package for the
   users prefered system (RPM,...)

   (You probably have to extend the bdist_* commands,
    but this way we also get people to write bdist_*
    commands for their platforms.)

4. use the finished package to install it

Kind regards
Rene Liebscher