Embedding setenv

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Thu Feb 22 09:45:46 EST 2001

"O'Rourke Clodagh-corour01" <corour01 at motorola.com> wrote in
message

> >>I've tried os.system("setenv  VARIABLE value")
> >>But I get:  sh: setenv: not found
>

> >n general, you can't do this.  setenv (in csh) is a
builtin, and doesn't
> >xist in /bin/sh or /bin/bash
> >t all.  Are you trying to set variables in your parent
processes'
> >nvironment?  Can't do that in
> >nix, period.  If you are trying to set your own
environment, including
> >ontrolling the environment
> >o future child processes, use os.environ, which is a
mapping
> >dictionary-like object):
>
>     import os
>     os.environ['VARIABLE'] = 'value'

this works for me...

> I'm trying to set environment variables in a GSM network
environment I tried

> os.environ['VARIABLE'] = 'value'
>
> And I got.....
>
> SyntaxError: can't assign to function call

gotta be something else going on...

> I'm working on putting a front end on the
Network-Controller Environment variables reading data
to/from Informix and setting the environment.

> If I can't do this directly from the python back end of
the application, I might have to write the variables/values
to another script and keep the setenv stuff separate....

> Thanks,
> Clodagh.

I'm not sure it'll do what you want it to do, but it
certainly does what you say you're doing...

--

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com