Help! Problems with win32wnet.WNetAddConnection2

Dan Rolander dan.rolander at marriott.com
Wed Feb 14 09:56:34 EST 2001

I am using the following function to break any existing connections between
a local drive and a network share and create a new one. It works just fine
on Windows 2000, but on Windows 98 both WNetCancelConnection2 and
WNetAddConnection2 return the following pywintypes.api_error:

     'The network request is not supported.'

This should work on Windows 98 shouldn't it? What am I doing wrong?

def map(drive, unc, username=None, password=None, persistent='no'):
    if persistent == 'yes':
        flags = win32netcon.CONNECT_UPDATE_PROFILE
    else:
        flags = 0
    drive_type = win32file.GetDriveType(drive)
    if drive_type == win32con.DRIVE_REMOTE:
        win32wnet.WNetCancelConnection2(drive, flags, 1)
    win32wnet.WNetAddConnection2(
        win32netcon.RESOURCETYPE_DISK,
        drive,
        unc,