Python/C++ for graphics vs. other languages?

Doug Ball doug at postsmart.net
Sat Feb 3 01:00:34 EST 2001

Cameron Laird Wrote:

> Yes.  Everything Mr. Wilson has written is
> correct and applicable.
>
> I want to add a few remarks.  Dylan, Common
> Lisp, and OCaML are great languages.  You
> might have specific requirements that make
> any of these ideal.  Part of our confidence
> in urging Python on you, though, is that even
> for the situations where, say, OCaML is per-
> fect, a well-crafted Python solution is likely
> to lie only a small multiple away.
>
> "... [A] potentially large graphics intensive
> program that will be speed sensitive ..."
> covers a great deal of territory.  We can give
> more precise advice with more precise know-
> ledge, of course.

.
[snip]
.
>It's impos-
> sible to know whether you're in the category
> of projects where there's a significant differ-
> ence, in the absence of more details.
> --

Thank you to all that have responded to my question pertaining to the
suitability of programming in a combination of  Python and C++ for graphical
applications. Your guidance is insightful and I am very grateful.

It has been pointed out that I have not provided enough information about my
application to allow a proper assessment.  Please forgive me, I have been
unintentionally vague while I trying to be concise = )

I am working on a real-time 3d simulation of a medical procedure, to run on
an Athlon 1.2 GHz machine under windows 2000.  Probably using DirectX as an
interface ( I don't know any OpenGL ).  No force feed back or tactile
simulation will be implemented.

Thank you again to all who have responded, and if this information enables
you to offer any further guidance I would be very grateful thanks!

Doug