PEP status and python-dev summaries

Paul Moore paul.moore at uk.origin-it.com
Mon Feb 12 11:59:54 EST 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:25:23 +0100 , Andrew Cooke
<andrew at intertrader.com> wrote:

>All IMHO - I'm not involved in Python, just curious about how this
>problem is going to be handled.  How is it handled in Perl?  Is there a
>Python equivalent of the porters, for example?

The perl5 porters list is the equivalent of python-dev. The difference
is that P5P is basically an open list. This has some significant
downsides (P5P has had a history of degenerating into flamefests and
noise), but that is more likely a consequence of certain personality
issues and a lack of any sort of moderation on P5P than an essential
aspect of the process...

P5P is a good counterexample to the argument that python-dev should be
completely open, but IMHO there should be a middle ground somewhere.

Paul Moore.