. Python 2.1 function attributes

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:05:42 EST 2001

Quoth "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com>:
[... MASSIVE WEIGHT LOSS in ONE DAY! ...]

| A quick regexp search turns up about 135 uses in the current CVS tree.  Some

To cruelly prolong the misery of this thread - I personally find
"print >>" kind of distasteful in terms of the notation, but as
long as we have it, we may as well enjoy it.

Now that the build procedure is partly implemented in Python, I wish
that a bunch of "print" commands in distutils could be "print >> sys.stderr"
instead.  The right way to run a build is with output redirected to a
disk file, so you can review it at your leisure, and that makes stdout
block buffered.  The output doesn't get to the file for a long time,
or at all if you have some reason to kill the process, comes out in
blocks irrespective of line structure, and meanwhile all the incidental
diagnostics are arriving that were issued to stderr/unit 2.  Since
stderr is line buffered, it's really much better to go there with
diagnostic outputs, in fact that's what it's for and why it works the
way it does.  Likewise, the one line in test_*.py should be about
every instance of print in any such file.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu