Upgrade? Not for some time...

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 03:35:38 EST 2001

Spicklemire, Jerry wrote:
> Mark Hudson asked?
> "Have you upgraded to Python 2.0?"

I'm still using 1.5.2, with no plans to upgrade. My reasons:

 1. Python 1.5.2 and all its juicy C extensions (PIL, PyGreSQL etc) are
    officially supported with binary packages on Linux and elsewhere. Python
    2.0 will probably not make its way into the core of any big Linux distros
    for quite a few months. No source installs of Python + extensions for me.

 2. Until I feel like only cavemen are still using 1.5.2, I'll avoid using
    2.0 in case I end up writing funky code with list comprehensions that
    nobody can use.

 3. With the current rate of releases and core python development, I'll
    save the effort of upgrading until 2.1 (or whatever) becomes the '1.5.2'
    of the future!

Makes me think of Java's JDK 1.3 -- why bother? I haven't needed most of
JDK 1.2 yet, and at least *everyone* has that version. For that matter, some
people are still starting new projects using JDK 1.1, and Java 1.0 is the
only serious choice for applets.

I hope Python doesn't go the same way.

-Caveman Steve

--