Python developers of the world unite ;)

Dan Parisien dan at eevolved.com
Thu Feb 8 17:46:58 EST 2001

Maybe the subject line is a little grandiose... :)

I'm wondering why there isn't a good web site service out there for
reducing the 'reinventing of the wheel' effect that innefficient
communication seems to have brought to the python community. I'm not saying
what already exists already isn't working, because it is (obviously!) but I
feel it could be better...

Doesn't anyone feel a sort of CPAN for Python should exist? What about a
documentation system not unlike that of PHP (at php.net). User contributed
comments embedded into the documentation would reduce the amount of
redundant questions posted here and help new users 'get up to speed', don't
you think?

I just picked up Python a few weeks ago and became an instant evangelist!
It's a great language with so many possibilities. I believe in it so much,
my business partner and I placed all our chips (so to say) on it, making it
the core of our next desktop app.

I've marvelled at the beauty of shelve, pickle, lists, dictionaries, python
threads, python sockets and all those other modules that make my life
(coding) so much easier. Unfortunately, it was harder than it should have
been to get information when I ran into non-documented problems.

There is a lot of information at python.org, but I feel it isn't very well
organized. I hope no one takes offense to this :( Does anyone agree with
me? Couldn't it be better? I think python.org should be the central place
to go for non-commercial, community supported help and modules. The most
important thing would be to make it easy for volunteers to help when they
want to. I know a few people who would love to code a great
backend/frontend system for python.org just to get their name out...
especially that anyone I know who learns python loves it instantly :-)

What do you guys think?
Dan Parisien