smtplib problem

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Feb 14 01:12:50 EST 2001

Sheila King <sheila at spamcop.net> wrote:

>Nice. And how does one do SMTP authorization? (There must be a way. I see that
>the NNTP module includes authorization commands, but the smtplib doesn't!)

There is no such thing.  The SMTP protocol does not include authorization.

Some providers have gone to a scheme whereby you have to check for POP mail
before you can use SMTP.  You have to send a password for POP, after which
they open a short window wherein you can send mail.  That doesn't take any
changes to smtplib.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.