iterators (was: python-dev summary)

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon Feb 19 05:52:35 EST 2001

amk at mira.erols.com (A.M. Kuchling) writes:

> I think I'll repeat the argument for 2.1: call the language as defined
> by the 2.1 docs the final version, and leave it alone.  Obviously you
> could still work on a faster interpreter, fix bugs in it, etc.  This
> means interfaces won't get implemented, which is unfortunate, but if
> you let in "just *one* more feature" it'll never stop.

This seems a bit strict, but I agree with the general idea. Adding a
new feature that opens up new possibilities (like safety in the case
of interfaces) is OK, but adding syntactic sugar like list
comprehensions mostly bloats the language definition. Simplicity is
one of Python's attractions. If you want a complicated language, try
Fortran, Ada, or C++.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr