CPAN functionality for python

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Feb 26 20:26:01 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 02:56:51AM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
>Do you mean:

Ideally, it would be able to deal with both.  The ability to download
a distutils package and produce a .deb or a .rpm is more a function of
the client program than of the archive network...  It also largely depends
on distutils as well.

>As for the second... it seems like an awful waste of archive space to
>have the same code in many different formats, just because some want
>to put stuff in /usr/share and others in /usr/lib, etc.

I'm really not familiar with .deb packages.  Howeer, for RPMs, if the
author has included a .spec file in the tar file, you can simply run
"rpm -ta foo.tar.gz" and the results will (should) be a compiled binary
RPM.  That is, if the author of the package has thought ahead about
producing an RPM.

The question becomes: Is it reasonable to require authors of packages
for the archive network to do the same?  Convince me it is...

Sean
--
 "McGuyver stole all his tricks from Dr. Who."