https support in Python?

Dustin Boswell boswell at caltech.edu
Tue Feb 13 07:24:30 EST 2001

I noticed that although python 1.6 and up are claimed to support code
like:
urllib.urlopen("https://secure-server.com")
the Modules/Setup file (in the source distribution for Python) has the
SSL
part commented out since it "breaks" the Python build.  It sure does.
;-)

I've tried downloading and installing various openssl, ssleay, and other
packages
but it always complains one way or another during build.  And it seems
that
there are a lot of hacks, but no official Python releases.
My question is, what is the "standard" way (what packages, etc...) to
get my
python interpreter built so I can do urlopen("https://")?

Any links to good packages (third party ok) would be great help.

P.S.
I'm running Redhat 6.2

Thanks in advance.