International/Localized Python GUI apps

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Feb 14 15:33:46 EST 2001

timo at lightdog.com wrote:

> I (desparately) want to be using python for our GUI apps here, but
> we're currently using M$ Visual C++. I'm not very happy with it,
> MFC in particular. It's a horrible set of wrappers on an unhappy api.
>
> Still, we have some opportunity. I need to be able to do UIs that are
> easily internationalizable, and I need to do a lot of work in grids. I've
> looked at WxPython, but it doesn't seem to do wide characters
> and/or unicode. I really need multilingual support, some of those
> languages being asian ones.
>
> Is there a way for me to propose python and tkinter or something
> for this work? I really need grid controls, and i really need foreign
> language support. If I have these, and can make an argument for it
> being easier than MFC/VC++, then I have a really good chance of
> getting it pushed through here.

If you really need Asian character set support, and _good_ support, you
should try PyQt. I've just released an application that uses it - you can
see a screenshot at http://www.valdyas.org/linguistics/screenshots.html. If
you need good BiDi, you might have to wait for version 3.0 of Qt. PyQt also
offers a strong Table control, grid layouts and a good canvas. And, of
course, it's very, very easy to work with.

It's not free for Windows, but that should make it _easier_ to get it into
a a shop using Visual C++ ;-).

Boudewijn Rempt