What to do after Python?

Andrew Cooke andrew at andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk
Sun Feb 18 03:53:47 EST 2001

Oh boy, what a choice :-)

What do you want to do?  Learn something *completely* different?  Or
explore different ways of looking at Objects?  Or learn a faster
language?  Or...?

For completely different, how about a functional language - there are
dozens, but maybe Scheme/Lisp or OCaml or Haskell?  Or a stack-based
language like Forth?  Or a logical language like Prolog or Oz or
Mercury?

For different OOP, how about Smalltalk or Eiffel?

For something faster, how about C++ (although all the above have
compilers and will be faster than C - what I mean here is a language
that you can use to get a job easilly, and one that, being rather
unpleasant, means you still use Python for the little tasks ;-)

Have a poke around lambda (http://lambda.weblogs.com) for more
ideas/references.

I also wrote a sketchy summary of many different languages (these days
I'm not that proud of it, but it was really written to answer exactly
this question) which you can find at
http://www.andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk/andrew/lang.html

If you post with what you'd like to do next (if you have a particular
project in mind, or what to learn something specific) then we might be
able to narrow the choice.  But thereare hundreds of languages out
there, all great in their own way:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/

Have fun,
Andrew