[Distutils] Re: CPAN functionality for python - requirements

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Tue Feb 27 11:30:13 EST 2001

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:23:33AM -0500, Mark W. Alexander wrote:
> (My understanding of) CPAN is that it's a repository of things that
> install a standard way. You download what you want and
>
> 	perl Makefile.pl
> 	make install

CPAN is a lot closer to appget with debian than that.
Yes, there is a standard perl Makefile, which looks through your
system for quirks, and creates a makefile which can work.

But it will also discover and resolve dependences in your perl
site-packages, and automatically fetch them from your closest
CPAN archive.

Regards,
Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com