Has anyone information on writing file compressing and decompressing programms?

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Sat Feb 10 07:00:30 EST 2001

In article <981800412.2025307082 at news.t-online.de>, Zamurai
<zamurai at gmx.net> writes:

| I want to write a file compressing/decompressing programm. Has
| anyone inforamtions about how to compress data?

comp.compression might be a better place to ask. look in
the comp.compression faq, they probably list some introductory books.

i assume you are interested this in an academic sense, since
python is way too slow to write practical compression programs.

if you're just interested in how you can make stuff take up
less space in your python program, the zlib module is probably
what you want.

  -- erno