PEP status and python-dev summaries

Nathaniel Gray n8gray at caltech.edu.is.my.email.address
Tue Feb 13 00:44:54 EST 2001

Steve Holden wrote:

> "Nathaniel Gray" <n8gray at caltech.edu.is.my.email.address> wrote in message
> news:962pdj$kb0 at gap.cco.caltech.edu...
> > Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> > > I think the text would be too long to post directly.  A URL should be
> > > sufficient.
> >
> > Many newsgroups post their entire FAQs periodically.  PEPs are a few
> > hundred lines at most -- not a huge burden.  Besides, compared to the
> > weekly traffic on c.l.p. a PEP is just a drop in the bucket.
> >
> > To be kind to those with slow connections who may want to skip PEP
> > texts, they could have a distinctive subject line format, e.g.
> >         [PEP 666 Text] Curly-Braces for Delimiting Blocks
> >
> Unless they are using a POP mail agent which insists on
> downloadingmessages before displaying the headers...

You're getting c.l.py through a POP mail agent?  Yikes!  Still, I doubt
adding a PEP every few weeks would significantly impact the total volume of
the newsgroup.  And total volume is what we're talking about if you can't
see the headers before you download messages -- it's all or nothing, right?

> > IMO, posting the text of PEPs to the newsgroup is a no-brainer.  It
> > keeps the users informed of the language's direction at essentially zero
> > cost.
> >
> Maybe c.l.py.announce?

I guess that would provide _some_ reason to read c.l.py.announce.  :^)

Since we're likely to want to discuss PEPs, it seems like c.l.py would be
more appropriate.

Maybe a compromise would be that an abstract should be posted to c.l.py
with a link to the full text of the PEP.  There should be enough detail
that readers will understand the idea of the change without going into the
gory detail required of a full PEP.

-n8

--
             Nathaniel Gray