python-dev summary, Jan. 16-31

Paul Moore paul.moore at uk.origin-it.com
Tue Feb 13 05:17:00 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:21:19 +0100, "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com>
wrote:

>The purpose is to discourage people from posting.  There's enough traffic on
>Python-Dev from the blessed invitees without the flamewar-attracting ease of
>hitting "reply" in a mail reader.

Good point. That seems fair.

>If someone wants to post something to Python-Dev, it takes them some effort
>to do so, and-- while I don't particularly care for that myself either --
>it has been effective in reducing noise.

OK, that makes sense. And experience is the best way to know, so if it
has worked, then I can't really argue...

>If you want to argue for a language change, you have to get Guido's ear, and
>the only sure way to do that (whether or not you're on Python-Dev!) is to
>write a PEP.  Some of the Python-Dev discussions are interesting, but I bet
>far fewer than you imagine.

Actually, I'm sad enough that I enjoy watching the process of language
design "in action", and I find python-dev a very interesting list to
read. I know - I've been watching you :-)

>then-again-there's-a-sure-way-for-you-to-find-out-ly y'rs  - tim

only-via-the-web-ly y'rs - Paul. :-)