XML Schema?

Harry George hgg9140 at seanet.com
Tue Feb 20 19:15:38 EST 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:

> "Harry George" <hgg9140 at cola.ca.boeing.com> wrote in message
> news:xqxg0h94dj8.fsf at cola.ca.boeing.com...
> > My concern was not about parsers per se, but a general body of work
> > rapidly developing and moving to either legal or defacto standard
> > status.  If that work is focused on one or a few languages, then other
> > languages have some difficulty staying in the game.
>
> ...unless the "other languages" are particularly apt at "fitting into
> diverse ecological niches" -- Python does that well:-).

Yes, python is extrodinary in that niche.  But we wouldn't be having
this discusison if it were on top of all the modules that Java is
covering.

> > So I'm looking for a low cost way to keep up.  One way is to bind to
> > libraries generated by others -- that's easier done against C/C++
> > libraries.
>
> Easier than what...?  Definitely not easier than Java/Python
> integration (with Jython), so I must be misreading you...?

Jython is great -- if you want to use Java.  Personally, I don't want
to lock in to that world.  So I was looking for ways to escape the
java mindset, not support it.

> > Another is to do idiomatic code conversion -- that's
> > probably easier done from Java to Python.
>
> Among the easiest things in the world (definitely easier than
> stealing candy from a baby, even not considering the moral
> implications of this latter act) is using Java classes from
> the Jython version of Python.  If, as I originally read your
> message, such use is what you desire, then I don't understand
> your concern.

Again, I don't want to use or directly link to java.  I want to link
to other libraries.

> If, OTOH, XML use from Python is actually your main thrust,
> I'd stay with 4Suite.  But that's a personal choice -- there's
> just SO much current/modern/leading-edge stuff out there for
> Java, that Jython may be the best choice for cross-platform
> work, just as Python + win32com probably is for Windows-only
> work for similar reasons.

I already use 4Suite.  As noted elsewhere, it doesn't do XSchema,
which is why I started this thread.

> Anyway, my key point is that the ease of "extending and
> embedding" Jython with Java is *astounding* -- a completely
> different order of magnitude from 'extending and embedding'
> CPython with C or C++.  You don't have to write ONE LINE of
> Java code in the knowledge that it will ever be used from
> Python -- you can do all that's needed on the Python side
> of things.  .NET may give us all that and more besides one
> (perhaps not-too-far-off) day, but Java and Jython give a
> LOT today, within the JVM's limitations (speed, possible
> security issues, etc) which you'd have from Java itself as
> well to some extent.

I may have to eventually use .NET at work, but it will be a cold
day in Tuxland before I use it at home...

--
Harry George
hgg9140 at seanet.com