Testing for Speed

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon Feb 19 12:08:18 EST 2001

One approach used on web sites that do this (see
http://home.cfl.rr.com/eaa/Bandwidth.htm )is to embed a
large amount of non-content in a web document and time the
transmission.  Others use client side javascript to time a
download from their site.  The ones that I've looked at all
seem to measure the speed of the narrowest point between the
client and server.  If you want to know the speed of the
connection at the client side, I think you'd want a client
side script that connects to many places and then take the
highest calculated rate.

HTH,

--

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com

"Ben Ocean" <zope at thewebsons.com> wrote in message
> Hi;
> How do I determine a visitor's connection speed? Clock a
round trip?