CPAN functionality for python

Doug Hellmann doughellmann at home.com
Tue Feb 13 19:26:56 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> >   OB> This metadata can be put in static files. Thus, it can be easily
> >   OB> mirrored/reached by www/ftp/rsync/etc. In case of Zope, mirror
> >   OB> site must run Zope, so mirroring will be limited to probably 2-3
> >   OB> sites in the world.

How is the meta data indexed?  How is it searched?

It is possible to export data from a Zope server and import it into another
one, or even use it directly without having to import it.  This allows us to
actually *mirror* the content, and not have multiple Zope front ends to a
single ZEO-driven database on the backend.  I do this at my job and it works
fine.

> > I think this would be a fine project for Zope, in part because we're
> > going to be spinning up zope.python.org in the next few weeks and
> > could probably provide a home for it.  (Yeah, I work for Digital
> > Creations, too, but only because I think it's a great company.)
>
>    Ok, so we've found one of these 2 or 3 mirrors.
>
> >     - Each mirror runs a ZEO client program and its own Zope server.
>
>    What will be these other 1 or 2 mirror sites that will run Zope?

Why do you assume no one will run Zope?

How many mirrors do we really need?  Not "We want as many as CPAN!" but how
many do we actually need to have in order to support the load we expect this
service to undertake and to give some fail-over capabilities.

>    I completeley agree that this task *can* be solved using Zope. We can
> develop data formats, protocols, etc. And I completely disagree that the
> task *should* be solved with Zope. It shouldn't.
>     Please count current mirrors of CPAN. The figure looks good, isn't it?
> This is because there are sites that provide FTP mirrors.

What is mirrored on all of these sites, the actual database or the service
which does the lookups?

Doug