How widespread is NIS support?

Mark C Favas mark at chem.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 19 02:49:37 EST 2001

[Andrew Kuchling asks about NIS support on Unix]

>Patch #103544 changes the 2.1 setup.py script to compile the NIS
>module on any Unix platform, and I'm wondering if that's too
>ambitious.  Is anyone out there using a Unix *without* NIS?  (Try 'man
>yp_get_default_domain' and see if you get anything, for a start.)  Are
>the NIS functions part of libc, or in a different library (such as
>libnsl on Solaris).

I think most variants have NIS support. In Tru64 (nee Digital Unix or OSF1),
the NIS functions are part of libc, with include files in
/usr/include/rpcsvc/: yp_prot.h, ypclnt.h, ypdefs.h, yppasswd.h, ypsym.h,
ypupdate_prot.h, ypv1_prot.h and ypxfrd.h.
--
Email  - mark at chem.uwa.edu.au      ,-_|\                           Mark C Favas
Phone  - +61 9 380 3482           /     \               Department of Chemistry