nested scopes

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sat Feb 3 16:00:12 EST 2001

In article <Qe_e6.11370$AH6.1837949 at newsc.telia.net>,
Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at effbot.org> wrote:
>Tim Peters wrote:
>>
>> Python's "2-level" scheme was a deliberate counterpoint to the abuses of
>> deep lexical nesting in Pascal programs of the time (according to Guido),
>> and it's something I've grown to like a lot.  But newbies eternally stumble
>> over that functions nest textually but not lexically in Python, and this
>> will make life simpler for them.
>
>I'm beginning to suspect that a new "sorry, you can no longer
>nest def statements" might have been an easier sell...

Taking that seriously, that would cause problems for classes.  Not to
mention the lambda issue, which I personally would be just as happy to
see go bye-bye.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"People sometimes focus too much on the fact of communication rather than
the substance of communication."  --Dave Morton