retry in try:...except:

Dan Parisien dan at eevolved.com
Sun Feb 11 16:48:07 EST 2001

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Dan Parisien]
> > Does something like this exist
> >
> > def getval(self, key)
> >         try:
> >                 return self.__keys[key]
> >         except KeyError:
> >                 self.__keys[key] = None
> >                 retry #!!!!

>     return self.__keys.setdefault(key, None)
ick :)

> or (more obscure to my eyes):
>     return self.__keys.setdefault(key)
yuck :)

I understand though.
I would be a big fan of things like this
#------
forever:
        data = socket.recv(...)
        do_something(data)
        if condition == 1:
                break

#------
do:
        something_fancy()
while(condition != false)

#-------
try:
        something()
except:
        fix_possible_error()
        retry

#-------
for i in indexes(list):
        do_something( list[i] )

#-------
obj = Widget()
        setSize(w, h)
        setPos(x, y)
        setBGColor(0)

Those things are lacking or are not documented (documented in a foot note
to a sub page of a section of a chapter doesn't count ;) IMHO.

That would increase the ease of coding in python (which is already higher
than any programming language I know).

I know these are things that keep getting brought up... Maybe there's a
reason ;)

peace,
Dan