Is Python for me?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sun Feb 11 18:40:18 EST 2001

Cliff Crawford <cjc26 at nospam.cornell.edu> wrote:
> * Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> menulis:
> | [DvdAvins]
> | >
> | > I'm investigating at M,
> |
> | Don't know it.

> It's a weird database language developed at a Boston-area hospital in
> the late '60s.  It used to be called MUMPS; I guess they changed the
> name because they felt silly saying "I program in MUMPS" ;)

Woah, if that's really the M he's talking about.. at my previous workplace
MUMP ('M systems') was still used. It's not really a modern language.
Though it has a verbose mode, its default representation looks more like
line noise than Perl does, and it's not a functional language. It does
have some weird database system integrated with it; not really relational
but it comes closest to that.

I believe there are a few modern open source implementations of it
these days, but I'm not sure how well they work. Anyway, it's still
being used, though my ex-coworker is happily playing with Zope and Python
these days as well. :)

Regards,

Martijn