What to do after Python?

Remco Gerlich scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
Sun Feb 18 19:29:19 EST 2001

Jim Eaton wrote in comp.lang.python:
> Thank you very much for your advice.  I was also wondering if learning Perl
> sometime later would be needed.  I've heard people talk of Python as the
> natural successor to Perl and I'd like to know what people feel about this.

They are really similar languages if you look at what they can do, but
Python tries to be small and clean and elegant, while Perl tries to be
powerful and flexible and huge. (the difference is perl doesn't try to be
small or clean, but python does also try to be powerful and flexible ;)).

When Python is your first language, learning Perl as a second one isn't very
logical since you're not really able to attack new problems - you just get
the option of using another language for things you could already solve
easily. (Generalizing here, but...)

Learning C, for instance, means you can now attack all those problems that
Python is too slow to handle, for instance by making modules in C that you
can call from Python. Java and C++ are important if you're looking for
world, *a lot* of real work application programming is done in those two.

Other languages like Haskell, Prolog, Lisp etc are a good for thing to
learn because they are programming in a completely different way. It
broadens the mind.

--
Remco Gerlich