iterators (was: python-dev summary)

A.M. Kuchling amk at mira.erols.com
Fri Feb 16 20:07:57 EST 2001

On 16 Feb 2001 18:55:27 GMT, Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>If it's a big step towards something useful, fine.  I have heard

Agreed.  Some time ago I argued that once Unicode was added to Python
1.6, we should just stamp the language definition "done" and leave it
alone.  Sure, we can add little tweaky features like iterators, but
will they enable a startling new application domain?  Will they
attract more users?  In both cases the answer is likely "no", so we
should just write off the new features -- they might be nice, but why
bother making books obsolete and making the code more bloated?

I think I'll repeat the argument for 2.1: call the language as defined
by the 2.1 docs the final version, and leave it alone.  Obviously you
could still work on a faster interpreter, fix bugs in it, etc.  This
means interfaces won't get implemented, which is unfortunate, but if
you let in "just *one* more feature" it'll never stop.

--amk