interfaces?

Chris Tavares ctavares at develop.com
Sun Feb 4 05:38:24 EST 2001

<drewpc at colorado.edu> wrote in message news:95ckj2$dlc$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> Let me preface this posting by saying that I'm not a fan of Java.  A lot
> of people may argue with me, but that's not the point.  The point is
> that I think that, one of the only useful features of Java is the idea
> of an interface.

[... snip ...]

I think that the Smalltalk approach to interfaces would be more appropriate
for Python than the Java one - dynamic vs. static and all.

The equivalent code in Python would be:

class IDontDoAnything:
    def UselessMethod(self):
        return self.SubclassResponsibility()

And then you don't define SubclassResponsibility. That way, when you try and
call UselessMethod on a class that doesn't implement it, you'll get an
attribute error.

Static verification doesn't really belong in Python to my mind. I *like*
just being able to only implement the part of the protocol that I need.

-Chris