nested scopes

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 11:05:58 EST 2001

In article <Pine.SOL.4.30.0102021550090.28216-100000 at mimosa.csv.warwick.
ac.uk>, John J. Lee <phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk> writes
>On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Robin Becker wrote:
>
>> Is it really true that J Hylton's nested scopes will cause code like
>>
>> def bingo():
>>   from string import *
>>
>> to be declared bad? I'm already against nested scopes, but requiring
>> this to be wrong seems awful. We seem to be replacing a simple 2-level
>> system by a more complex one & restrictions.
>[...]
>
>Are nested scopes actually going to end up in Python proper, then?  As
>opposed to remaining as an optional patch?

don't know about that, apparently 2.1a has it

>And why should the above become bad rather than just import into the
>appropriate namespace?

I have a feeling that in order to make nested scopes workable/acceptable
the byte compiler is being hacked and this has had some unfortunate side
effects. It took me a while to get used to the two level (or three if
you split builtins from globals) scoping rule, but I don't miss Algol
style nesting a lot and I find the explicit lambda stuff a help rather
than a hindrance. I would drop this real soon if I could.
--
Robin Becker