CPAN functionality for python

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Feb 26 20:36:06 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 06:45:33AM -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>What if Python kept up with its own packages and modules like XEmacs does?  We
>could then use the same format on all platforms -- it might even be something
>we roll ourself to make sure we can unpack it with *only* Python installed on a
>platform.

My understanding is that that's what distutils is meant to do, to an extent.
The problem is that it's not entirely unreasonable to expect that an
"rpm -qa" produce a list of all the software that's installed on your
box.  If you don't use an RPM, you can't really make use of that, and
packages WILL get dropped after a re-install.

Sean
--
 ISA isn't dead, it's just that people wish it were.  The correct term for
 this condition is "legacy"...  --  Sean Reifschneider, 1999