[Distutils] Re: CPAN functionality for python

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Feb 26 20:38:57 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 12:22:47PM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
>I think the problem with RPMs is that they depend on a specific
>package, instead of depending on the contents of a package.

In RPM, you can let the packaging system decide what revisions of
various packages are needed (by looking at the results, it will
find out what libraries it links against, what's in the she-bang
(#!) lines, etc).  That mechanism is usually the most paranoid
about versions (if we linked against glibc 2.1.7.9.pi, then that's
exactly what we expect).

On the other hand, if you know better, as an application developer,
you can include something like:

	Requires: python >= 1.5.2

in the .spec file which says "I know that 1.5.1 won't work, but I hope
that 1.6 won't break this package".

Sean
--
 Some girl with psychic power, She said "T-bone, what's your sign?"
 I blinked and answered "Neon", I thought I'd blow her mind.