nested scopes

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Feb 9 12:46:34 EST 2001

Michael Hudson <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I've been meaning to say this for a few days, but finally I get round
> to saying that this particular argument bothers me; Python isn't a
> language you program with a reference manual open at all times
> (unlike, say, C++) - and this IMHO is a good thing.  This particular
> change probably isn't too stressful, but I slightly fear more onerous
> restrictions might be lurking in the ref manual to be whipped out when
> we next get comfortable with the language.

It certainly must be decided on a case-by-case bases, evaluating the
impacts in each case. If (like in this case), the ruled-out code uses
what many consider bad style, and if the code contradicts with a new
desirable feature, then it seems acceptable to break that code. If
code is broken, there should be clear instructions for people affected
how to modify their code.

In other cases, it may be better to remove the restriction from the
documentation.

Regards,
Martin