use a news server? (was Re: python-dev summary, Jan. 16-31)

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Feb 23 11:17:03 EST 2001

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 07:24:31AM -0800, Aahz Maruch wrote:

[ Thomas Wouters suggests running an NNTP/list server for the Python
  community ]

> Let me back this up [ .. ]

Since I've seen some positive reactions to this idea, I'm wondering how many
more I could get by explicitly asking for it :) I'm willing to try and get
my employee to cough up the machines, the place to locate them in a system
room and the connectivity to the 'net (and boy, that's some connectivity:)
but I'll only do that if it's actually considered useful. I'm pretty much
out of touch with 'the Python community' as an entity, so I'll have to ask
straight up:

- Do we need another way to get a list/forum for Pythonic discussions,
  regardless of the exact medium ? I'm unsure what real alternatives there
  are, but the initial look of groups.yahoo.com ("Give me your personal
  data!") scares the old cyberhacker in me enough to protest against it. And
  those of you who lived in the Netherlands during XS4ALL's ad campaign and
  subsequent court cases, last year, should know why :)

  I know about lists.sourceforge.net, but I doubt they want to bother
  setting up lists for all Python projects. (Or maybe they do. I don't
  know.) The same goes about starship.python.net, though I'm sure they are a
  bit more willing to host python discussions :)

- For howmany projects/discussions, roughly ? Is it really worth setting up
  a seperate machine/network for it ?

- What kind of forum would be desirable ? I was thinking newsgroups (with or
  without an 'upfeed') gated to Mailman lists, but some webforum is possible
  too.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>