Creating Python Data Server

Paul Brian pbrian at demon.net
Tue Feb 20 07:46:49 EST 2001

May I say that unless there is an extremely strong reason for doing anymore
than presentation like work on the client that you do use apache/mod_pyhton
(or PSP or PHP anything else).

In general, the rule of thumb that puts data and business logic on central
servers and presentation on web servers or client is a good one. And
breaking that rule in the first stages of design does not sound good.

If you want the look and feel of a intelligent client rather than bare web
pages however, perhaps the following solutions might make sense:

-pickle python dictionary objects that represent the results table, squirt
as data through http, unpickle at the client end.
-Alternatively use apache to create results tables that it delviers as plain
text (XML?)

Then create a client that does what you want, (staying with Python) using
PyQT and QTdesigner (almost as easy as VB), or JPython and Swing (if you
know this - I have not yet found a neat way of WYSIWYG'ing Swing and still
being able to use jPython with it - any ideas anyone?

However may I suggest that you concentrate on the functionality that your
users desire first, and put it into plain boring web pages using
apache/mod_python / PHP/JSP. That way you
a) avoid the big management headaches of maintaining uptodate versions on
all clients (I am asuming this is a inhouse business problem)
b) Avoid big investment in gui design before functionality is all fixed
c) can change functionality faster
d) surface product quicker
e) can add in authentication and authorisation far more easly....
f) can throw it away if it is just completely not wanted.

good luck

news:jQkk6.117367$Ch.20710042 at newsrump.sjc.telocity.net...