What to do after Python?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 18 13:57:35 EST 2001

"bowman" <bowman at montana.com> wrote in message
news:AsSj6.302$8u5.1400 at newsfeed.slurp.net...

> Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:96oa1e0v4h at news2.newsguy.com...
> > Perfectly correct (though I would not put things in this specific
> order:-),
> > but I just want to underline my original suggestion in this light: SQL
> > does _both_ -- it broadens the mind
>
> the only thing SQL ever broadened was my boredom. Once the initial
concepts
> are grasped, which takes about an hour, the rest is endless repetition. I

I wonder if you're one of the greatest geniuses ever lived (to grasp the
concepts of relational databases in an hour!), or one of the myriad people
who didn't get SQL taught to them _right_.  You _have_ read Celko's
"SQL for Smarties", for example?  And beyond that, do you understand,
say, outer joins and why you might want to use one, the implications
of update-propagation strategies and their interactions with integrity
constraints, or locking and transactioning issues in typical scenarios...?

Alex