CPAN functionality for python

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Wed Feb 14 04:33:21 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> What meta data do we need to store for a module?

   I don't care about metadata (others will do). I want:
configure/autoconf or Distutil-based "make"
test suite ("make test")
install script ("make install"); again, it's possible to do this with
   Distutil

> What formats are going to be supported (tgz, rpm, zip, etc.)?

   I vote for tgz.

> Who hosts the modules?  Is it sufficient to provide a URL to the module when
> registering the module, or does it have to be uploaded to a server
> participating in the module-sharing-network?

   Certainly, just an URL is not enough. How much you will be disappointed
if you were trying to install a module (and you are in need and in haste)
and the server is not responding? A list of mirrors is a must; and I hope
every our mirror soon will mirror all the modules, not only links to
author's homepages.

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru