None assigment

Gregoire Welraeds greg at perceval.be
Fri Feb 9 03:38:42 EST 2001

~# What's going on?  frameobject.c:172 is what's going on:
~#
~# 	if (builtins == NULL) {
~# 		/* No builtins!  Make up a minimal one. */
~# 		builtins = PyDict_New();
~# 		if (builtins == NULL || /* Give them 'None', at least. */
~# 		    PyDict_SetItemString(builtins, "None", Py_None) < 0) {
~# 			Py_DECREF(f);
~# 			return NULL;
~# 		}
~# 	}

So we guess that the None "object" (label, value, and so on :) is always
to a minimal builtin namespace because it is required to create a
"void" function (function that return nothing). And maybe there is a other
place in the python C code where None have to be defined.

Maybe None have been added to builtin to avoid special cases. But it
becomes clear, as we understand it, that None is now a special case of
builtin.

So, following that thought, we think that None should be a reserved word.

Furthermore, None is some kind of magic value which have a special
conceptual meaning such as nil in other languages or the magic /dev/null

And we all agree that programmers should not touch to the value of
__builtin__.None. We think that the ability to override None because None
is a builtin is a conceptual problem.

Gregoire and Xavier
Perceval Development team, python division (and some other more :)
Perceval Technologies sa/nv	Tel: +32-2-6409194
Rue Tenbosch, 9			Fax: +32-2-6403154
B-1000 Brussels			general information:   info at perceval.net
BELGIUM				technical information: helpdesk at perceval.net