python 3000 IDE? be warned: contentious

charles loboz phys137 at mailcity.com
Sat Feb 17 17:09:26 EST 2001

1. I was unaware of XPCOM - so I stand corrected on that.

2. This and other articles in this thread  mention certain number of
alternatives to COM as an argument that IDE can be written in them. It
undoubtedly is technically possible but it doesn't solve neither the problem
of writing a fully functional IDE nor developing it further efficiently.

3. The first reason for it is the scope of work already available through
NetBeans and its community. NetBeans has a three year (at least) history as
a product prepared by a lot of people. Overall architecture, code etc.

4. The second reason is the support coming from the platform. Technology -
Swing seems to be the dominant GUI after Win, threading model, event model,
property editors and enormous number of external beans already available
(even though created for different purposes) - all of these much less
available for other mentioned platforms (excluding Win, naturally). Scale -
there are plenty of Java programmers out there and the number is growing
much faster than for any other platform. The difference in size of the crowd
is probably two-three _orders_ of _magnitude (or more).

5. Above arguments apply to things like wxWindows, XPCOM. As for Kylix -
looks nice but _proprietary_ (I think), so automatically excluded

news:96lbfu0frm at news2.newsguy.com...